Hand Plane Chatter

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 20 15:24:13 MST 2008

> I have a hand plane that has a propensity to "chatter" in use. Picture
> of it is below. The reason the base looks as if it is curved is because
> it is curved. That's the whole deal with this plane - the base curvature
> is adjustable to any gentle curve - convex or concave. It's great for
> planing many wooden things found in piano bellies and jigs to make those
> things. But it can be a bear when the darn plane wants to chatter.

That's a pretty steep blade angle, and a very flexible sole
plate, neither of which you can do much about and a bad
combination by my relatively inexperienced reckoning. I'd try
two things. The first is related to my miserable efforts to
use a curved sole spoke shave years ago.
Chatterchatterchatter, chunkgougedig. It's been in the drawer
ever since. Problem was the sole radius was tighter than the
scoop I was trying to cut, and the thing rocked, at least
under my lack of control, continually changing the cut angle
and depth of cut. Try setting the sole curve to a slightly
larger radius than your caul, so you have to lean on it some
to get it to cut. If that doesn't work, I'd try grinding the
iron edge to a shallow curve, to narrow the cut width
proportional to the amount of support the sole is giving you.
If that doesn't work and ruins the plane for all time, it
already isn't working, so...

Ron N