rusted piano strings

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 15:57:10 MST 2008

No, it makes no sense what-so-ever. If environmental conditions in the home
or institution are such that the dew point is reached, you might as well
forget the DC, and just arrange for disposal of the piano.

No, not dew point. That is a very extreme condition to experience indoors!
One often does see the dew point reached when the bathroom mirror fogs up
while the hot water is running in the shower - that is because the glass
mirror is colder than the warmed air in the bathroom, but the air right next
to the glass mirror cools a bit from the cooler mirror and the dew point is
reached.

If the entire room environment reaches the dew point...... No, this likely
didn't even happen in New Orleans during/after Katrina.

The only way dew point could be reached on piano strings would be if the
room was cold and somehow was rapidly heated AND the humidity was raised to
a very high level.

Now it certainly could happen if maybe the piano was stored in an unheated
building in a cold climate and was then moved into a warm room of moderate
humidity - then, yes, you could actually have water condensate on the
strings.

But not in any sort of normal home with doors and windows.

Terry Farrell