Rust damage after storm

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 14:15:24 MST 2008

If I can take a detour off of the rusted strings and
D.C. discussion for a minute, I would like to hear
your thoughts about the possibility of horizontal
strings (grand) rusting faster than a vertical.  For
two reasons:  No. 1  The horizontal surface, top side,
will perhaps allow the moisture to rest on it, and No.
2 Grand pianos are generally not closed up as tightly,
therefore a more rapid change can be made in moisture
content.  (This could be argued as a benefit in terms
of drying faster)

I am questioning  this as I have tested pianos in a
college where the pianos are in the same environment
over a period of several years and the grand piano
strings are more oxidized or rusted, than the same age
vertical pianos.  This is evidenced by wiping a clean
white cloth over the strings and finding orange lines
on the cloth.

I am doing some evaluation on pianos in a building
after a tornado hit it and while the building is still
standing, the roof was partially blown off and the
sprinkler system went off.  Little damage was done by
large amounts of direct water on the pianos, but a
very high humidity prevailed for days in the bldg.
before they could be moved out.

Is it possible that grand strings are more susceptible
to rust than verticals?

Bob Hull