whats the best temperament?

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sat Feb 16 17:07:39 MST 2008

Julia:

As old as I am I never got to meet Beethoven's piano tuner!  J  However,
if I were going to tune for an all-Beethoven recital I'd probably try to
talk the pianist into using a Thomas Young #1 temperament.  Directions
to tune it were written in 1799 and it is such a nice symmetrical
temperament.  I use it almost exclusively on our harpsichords.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu