T3 - Sanding

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 10:57:50 MST 2008

Today's Tech Tip - Sanding

I'm refinishing a S&S A w/ "Ice Cream Cone" legs. The massive amount of detail
has prompted me to come up with an easier way to sand. I used to fold up sand
paper into small bundles to get into tight corners but now have a better way.

PSA sand paper (self-stick) pressed around a sample credit card. (I was getting
so many card offers with the sample card that I kept the cards for
putty but found
they work well for piling a bunch together for gluing felt or leather
onto curved
surfaces).  It dawned on me to try the PSA paper...Bingo !  No more
wasted paper.

I can cut the card to a shape for any contour. Even on the end of a
slat for real
tight flat areas.  Once the grit has been used or clogged at the end,
trim it back
and you're good for another flurry of sanding.  Sanding edges of scroll work
effortlessly, relatively :-)

These little, two-sided, flexible, sanding paddles make for shorter work
of detail sanding.  These legs are going to look 'chiseled'.
I'm a stickler for crisp, clean inside corners.

Can't wait until they need sanding again...
--

Regards,

Jon Page