soundboard on my 1890's Knabe upright

daniel carlton hacicspe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 23:25:15 MST 2008

hey techs

i've got a rebuilt (rebuilt 2 or 3 years ago) 1890's Knabe upright. nice
warm, woody sound, and it's already been used in a few recordings. i'd like
to have it sound nice for many more years. i do have one concern. i've
noticed a crack or two in the soundboard, and it bums me out to have a
rebuilt, beautifully sounding piano with a crack in the soundboard.
now i did a few shims at nbss on grands we were rebuilding, but never any
uprights... and in the following post
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2006-January/184497.html, David
Ilvedson says you can't shim from behind.
so my question is can *anything* be done to fix the cracks?

as always, any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

daniel carlton