Confessions of a "Lookerson"

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 08:03:14 MST 2008

David
   I'd love to see the sequel to the movie "A Day  without a Mexican" any
body see that?  Mine would be called be called"A day  without a piano tuner"
Then we'd know if we are missed or not.  I  predict that unless new young blood
start getting into the business  now that someday in many places it will be
impossible to get one tuned  for lack of a warm body. In every area I'm familiar
with out here all the   guys are getting on in age. My son is the youngest at
22, then another guy  at 50 then me & so on. Folks don't' understand that WE
as a group are a  getting to be a rare commodity.
  Encourage young blood to consider this so all us left  over hippies (grin)
have someone to leave our knowledge & legacy  to.
  Dale

n piano  tuning we give at least an hour, all-in, of very  concentrated
highly-skilled time,  and during that hour the skill is  being fully
applied all the time.  But we can't in general charge  rates comparable to
the stove or drain persons.
 For us it's almost always more than an  hour & usually  2 hours because we
do other things to improve then  piano

On the  domestic front, if we all hiked our prices up to electrician or
plumber  heights, people simply wouldn't get the piano tuned, and we
wouldn't get  work, and homes would have out-of-tune pianos.
  O come on. Kindly Wake up & smell the  coffee  Perhaps there
would be negligible difference to  the economy.

But what of tunings for recitals and studio  recordings?  If there were no
in-tune pianos, would the piano be almost  instantly wiped out as a musical
instrument and replaced with electronic  keyboards?  Would pianos simply no
longer be featured in  recordings?  Would CD sales drop?
  The acoustic piano will always be here but it may only  be the high end ,
so take aim now or perhaps become an  electrician? I  make more than those guys
....as  do many on this list.

I don't  know!

Best,

David.