Confessions of a "Lookerson"

Steve Brooks smbrooks at sprynet.com
Mon Feb 11 22:42:48 MST 2008

I've been following the "Lookerson" thread with great interest because
I'm ... one of them.

As a youngster, I never missed a minute of the tuner's visit. I never
said anything, but yes, I watched intently. My mother usually provided
cookies and lemonade. After I left home, playing weekend gigs helped pay
the way through college. My major was economics, not music, but I
infiltrated the music school's practice rooms to work on my book. Later
I switched focus to the guitar but as time went by I felt I needed a
keyboard to help learn music theory. Because I moved frequently as a
young man I needed something portable and contented myself with a Fender
Rhodes (I talked a tuner friend into tuning it once during its 10 year
history) and later with a Roland weighted midi-controller and a
succession of synths; all selected for their approximate fidelity to a
true piano sound.

When my career matured and I could afford it, I bought a 6' Kawai
Pramberger grand. I was never satisfied with it and went through a
succession of tuners trying to get the sound I wanted out of it. One of
those tuners is a distinguished contributor to this list. I would take
time out from my professional work to sit quietly and read near the
piano while it was being tuned. You see, I never caught on to the fact
that y'all were listening to beats. It seemed like magic to me. Johnny
Smith taught me to tune a guitar using harmonics but I never transferred
that insight to piano tuning. I would listen very intently to each tuner
trying to understand what made each one's tuning slightly different. In
deference to a working professional, I didn't want to interrupt his work
by asking questions. I wonder what they thought. Perhaps - "This guy
doesn't have any life at all if he can sit there wasting time listening
to me tune!" I've since significantly upgraded my piano because the
sound I wanted just wasn't in it. It was a brave and honest tuner who
broke the news to me.

My curiosity began to overwhelm me to the point that I got serious about
learning the craft well enough to tune my own instrument, (boy, that
took longer than I expected). The more I learn, the more the craft
intrigues me - I read these postings every day. The astounding
generosity of certain members of PTG has provided me with steadily
improving skill and a richly rewarding pastime. Of course, now the
"magic" is gone but my respect for talented tuners has increased even
more. I still haven't created a tuning that, as Ron Koval says "is right
in the pocket." But one of these days ...

Steve Lookerson

--
"The masses have never thirsted after truth.  Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim."  Gustave Le Bon from his 1896 book "The Crowd"