Soundboard repair question

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Feb 10 03:18:53 MST 2008

I dont think CA would do well for soundboard cracks.  Maybe if they were
really thin hairlines... but I doubt it.  You can use an epoxy.  I have
used West System epoxy in the past with great success for years and
never had a sign of a soundboard re-cracking along the old crack lines.
You tape the underside of the cracks so the epoxy doesnt just leak
through. Use some good strong adhesive tape.  The epoxy does not need to
behave like wood in the face of humidity changes. It just needs to hold
on to the edges during tension periods and stand up under the pressure
during compression periods.  The rest of the wood (probably 99.% percent
of the total resultant panel) will take care of dealing with humidity
changes.

By the sound of your question I'd like to add that this kind of job is
done with the strings removed.... just in case there was any question.

If the pianos sound good, and the cracks are only thin more or less
hairline in character... I wouldnt bother.  In fact I dont bother with
filling cracks in soundboards anymore as a general rule.

Cheers
RicB

    This question was posed to me yesterday by the facility manager of a
    local
    community center:  could a cracked soundboard be repaired by dripping CA
    into the crack (as is done with bridges)?

    My questions were:  would CA hold up and would it help?

    I didn't know the answers to any of those, although I could hypothesize
    some.  BTW, I told him NOT to try it, since both the pianos with cracked
    soundboards are Steinways:  a 1950s B and a 1931 L that's been
    rebuilt and
    refinished.  And nobody ever mentioned (or remembered) to think about
    humidity control.  Harrumph!  The cracks aren't horrid, but they are
    there.

    Thanks for any comments.

    Annie G.