Free Chick Floor Flood

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 16:54:09 MST 2008

Hi Annie,
I built a new garage/shop space a few years ago and the foundation is a
cement slab with 6" cement blocks set all the way around for the walls to be
"set" on. This was a stick built do-it-yourself deal from the home
center(Menards) where I designed it as I wanted it to fit my land and
situation. It is set 3 feet in from my northernmost property line which is
the building code here. My neighbor's garage is set 3 feet in from his
southernmost property line so between the 2 buildings is a 6 foot area for
the snow to build up both from snowfall and the snow sliding off of both
roofs. The first spring the water flowed through my building almost as if it
weren't there! The blocks, of course weren't waterproof and neither was the
mortar or the slab.

That summer I dug up all around the perimeter and exposed the foundation
washed or wirebrushed the dirt and loose cement off and coated it with
Drylok by UGL which is a cement sealer and waterproofer that is guaranteed
for, I believe it is 15 or 20 years.

I have since seen other companies offering similar products gauranteed for
longer time periods, Zinsser is one that comes to mind. Some of those can be
applied to the interior of the cement with the result of stopping water
penetration. If you have cracks or holes in the foundation there is
waterstop cement that can actually be used while the water is pouring in(so
they claim).

Hope this helps!

--
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com