Dangerous tuning situation NOT OT!

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 3 10:12:49 MST 2008

OK, so I've seen discussions about how heat from stage
lights affect a tuning; humidity, temperature, you
name it, we've discussed it.

What about altitude?  Would hoisting the piano that
high in the air affect the tuning?   Certainly it
would be colder up there, I would think, but aside
from the effects of temperature, would simply less air
pressure change anything, tuning-wise?

If it were tuned on the ground and then raised in the
air, does the pitch go up along with the piano?  Vice
versa?

 Would it take less time to play FLY ME TO THE MOON?
(After all, you'd be a bit closer...)

Yes, this may be tongue-in-cheek, but what if a piano
were raised from sea level to a climate-controlled
room at the top of Mount Everest?   (A difference of
some 29,000 feet.)  What would the effect of less air
pressure be on the piano and the tuning?

I'll bet Paul Revenko-Jones will have an answer for
this one!  How about it, PRJ?

Tom Sivak
Chicago