Digital Micrometer Recommendations?

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 20:44:03 MDT 2007

 Thanks for the useful info, Jerry.? I've calibrated my mechanical micrometer, and I know it isn't dead, but I'd like more accurate readings.

Dave

icrometers originally come with an adjustment
wrench that depending on the quality of the tool may or may not need
re-adjustment right off the get-go. They do need rechecking/recalibration
occasionally ( even the good ones)!

?

Just as we must check and possibly tune a brand new
tuning fork to make sure it is at the proper frequency, so also are our
instruments of fine measurement. I know some of the different?members
within our guild like to shop at the bargain tool stores, I don't think this
tool is one place I'd cut corners on. I need to give the string maker exact
measurements that what I tell him/her is what they make!

?

My micrometer and dial indicator I have always
stayed with the "Starrett Tool Company". I?check and occasionally
recalibrate them especially if they have had some extensive use or "banging
around" (I hope never to drop one!). If you don't know how, or do not have the
accurate measurement blocks where with to make these measurements/calibrations
tests?the best place to go is to a good tool and die-maker?or high end
tool supplier. Either they can do it for you, hopefully share with you how you
can?do this or at last effort put you in touch with their calibration
person/shop.

?

I'm an old machinist and have had some of my tools
for?over thirty?years and they still hold up well....but again, you
have to respect and take care of them so they will not disappoint you!

?

Another useful tool I have not heard much
discussion about is the dial indicator.?It commonly?sits?on a
magnetic base. ?After first?mic-ing9Measuring)?a drill?that
it is in fact the right size?(provided it's sharp and the right type drill
for?your job) you "true the drill up" in the drill press chuck or
tool holder ?to make sure it runs exactly straight(true) by using the dial
indicator. If this step is not done your hole can be oversized, inconsistent and
it isn't because your drill was too big!???

?

Sorry that's another topic..... but tools, quality
and the know how are a premium!

?

My two cents....good luck!

Jerry Arbeau