String spacing problem

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 28 20:05:39 MST 2007

Sorry this is a very late response, but there is another thing you may want to consider.  If the string spacing is a problem in the whole area, perhaps tightening the screws for the pressure bar would help.  You can get an idea if the pressure bar is too loose in this area by using a simple tool to compare the angle in different ranges in the piano.  A spinet hammer shank or small screwdriver blade will fit up next to where the string comes out of the pressure bar.  If the bottom end of the tool (sticking out towards the keys)comes closer to the strings in this area compared to others, tightening the pressure bar may help.  I find this problem most often near the bass string end of the pressure bar, where the trichord wedge dampers are also used.  I usually leave the strings at full tension if I can.  You know the bar is moving when you hear the pitch change.  Those pressure bar screws are sometimes too hard to turn at all without lowering the string tension.  You do not want to break one off.  The best time to find this problem is before doing a pitch raise.  Tightening the pressure bar screws will help bring the pitch up too!

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
847-498-0379