Upright pinblock question

pianolover 88 pianolover88 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 28 01:17:50 MDT 2007

Out of curiosity, why put the bolts in from the back to front, and not the reverse? Also, should "lock" washers also be used to keep the nuts from loosening?  FYI, I used a feller gauge to check if the gap widened at all during the massive pitch raise, and there was no difference noted, and several hours later, the pitch seems to be holding fine. Also fyi, I'm attributing the 130+ cents flatness on the fact that the piano had not been tuned since 1969 when it was first purchased!

I don't know why manufacturers don't use long bolts & nuts in the first place to secure the pinblocks; seems that would save having to do it down the road.

Ok, looks like even though the separation is extremely minute, I have decided to replace *all* the top screws (7) from left to right with the carriage bolts washers and nuts. But I'd much rather install them from front to rear with the nuts on the *back*. Is there a reason Not  to do it this way? And just how tight should I cinch down the bolts? As long as there is uniform tightness all the way across, like there currently is with the screws, can they be torqued about the same tightness as the screws?

I also don't see why I need to detune the entire piano, or significantly lower string tension to do this. For example if I start with a clamp on the first base top screw area, drill out & replace with bolt & nut, then move on to the next, doing just one at a time (always maintaining the same pressure with the clamps  as the screws provided) until all 7 are replaced, would I not end up with successful job?

I could see maybe if the separation was much wider, that de-stressing the plate might allow the separation to close up easier, but what I have at the moment is only about 1mm, so I don't know how important it would be to close that gap, as compared to simply stopping it from getting any wider by using bolts that go all the way through. And it also seems like pretty good news that after that massive PR it didn't get any wider...yet!

Terry Peterson