Upright loss of repetition

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Oct 27 21:08:37 MDT 2007

Hi John,

Nope, adjusting blow distance is SOP for me on this job, along with lost
motion.  I've wondered though, about this change.  Unless you are filing
hammers past the grooves, the blow distance hasn't really changed pre-filing
to post-filing.  It seems that it has changed gradually over the years, and
only those little fingers of useless felt either side of the grooves are
still at proper (original) blow distance, right?

Also, I'm unclear how filing away felt from the strike point affects the
jack to butt clearance.  I don't see how that would be changed until AFTER
you correct blow, and then it would be too great, not too little.  Or did I
miss something?  I would think it would be let-off that is now a problem
(too great) and probably checking, and................

William R. Monroe