George Steck Grand Oddity

pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 27 10:01:49 MDT 2007

While we're on the subject of odd pianos, I am working on a George Steck
baby grand with an action that is new to me. It has a spring loaded lever
assembly that rotates the wippens forward when a pedal is depressed, causing
the hammers to rise with out introducing any lost motion. This duplicates
the soft pedal action on an upright. Interesting idea, but it makes
regulating the action a challenge, particularly when levelling  and setting
dip.
    The other oddity, which I noticed in another Steck baby grand several
years back, is that the drop screw end of the wippen levers rub the hammer
rail, to the point that the levers bind and prevent the wippens from
returning to the rest position. On both pianos I wound up having to rout out
the back of the hammer rail with a Dremel tool to gain sufficient clearance.
On the first piano someone in the past had tried to get clearance by
shimming the rail, with little success. Any one have a better way of dealing
with these issues?
Thanks,
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician