Hot Hide Glue Problem

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Oct 26 21:40:02 MDT 2007

Another way of actually softening the hot hide glue enough to pull the
hammers off by hand without adding moisture is to stick the
molding/shank joint into hot sand.  Put dry sand in an old sauce pan,
heat it on a hot plate on medium. Stirr occasionally. (all very
scientific).   The glue softens, and the hammer can be pulled off by
hand (wear a glove - hot).  No pliers needed - that is how soft the
glue gets.  But if you wait too long, the glue gets hard and brittle
again.  I suppose there is ambient moisture in the sand and also in the
glue, which is hygroscopic.  But hey - no moisture added.  And no glue
joint that gets broken.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440