Hot Hide Glue Problem

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 26 17:20:44 MDT 2007

I can assure you that I've been removing them that way for about 30 years
without introducing any moisture.  Ungar Heat Gun or smaller Weller Gun,
heat the joint, pop them off with a pair of removing pliers.  I can usually
heat up an entire section at time and go through and remove them, i.e., it's
not necessary to do them one at a time.  Interestingly, as the joint cools
it becomes more difficult suggesting the glue does indeed respond to heat
alone.  There is humidity in the air, of course.  Whether the hygroscopic
properties of the glue itself cause it to absorb some moisture from the air
which is activated by the heat, I don't know.  Even if that's the case,
rarely do we work in zero humidity situations.  But, to be sure, they can be
removed with the application of dry heat.  No illusion here.  Try it.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com