Hot Hide Glue Problem

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 26 14:09:12 MDT 2007

I remove hammers glued on with hide glue with dry heat all the time-both old
and new.  I also see glue joint failure between soundboards and ribs glued
with hide glue frequently.   I've not seen that with Titebond.  In fact, for
the most part, the glue seems stronger than the wood.  While you may be able
to soften Titebond with heat, I wouldn't worry it about for most
applications.  Glue joints in pianos are not generally subjected to the kind
of direct heat you mention and if they were I don't think I would trust any
glue to hold up.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com