3 layer overstrung piano

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 12:40:24 MDT 2007

At 17:48 -0700 25/10/07, you wrote:

>I don't suppose youÊcan come up with another picture of that lowest
>(mono-chord) bass bridge....
>
>Del
>
>(PS. At least Niemeyer didn't run any of the wrapped strings through
>another bridge as did our old friend, Wm. Knabe.)

I have seen Neumeyer uprights with FIVE different string planes!

"Double overstrung" pianos were made by quite a few German and
English makers, but the most interesting DOS I have see was made by
the Danish firm of Petersen, who had only one bass bridge from which
square steel pillars rose, slotted at an angle for the string
termination.  The lowest 10 strings ran through taller pillars on the
right-hand side of the bridge.  This piano was 4'9" long and the
power and quality of the bass was astonishing.  The piano is not far
away and I'd take some pictures if it werent for the fact that the
client is a pain in the butt and would be wanting to have this and
that made better.

JD