Veritcal hitchpins?

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Mon Oct 22 17:15:22 MDT 2007

Well, within limits, anyway. Back in my days at Baldwin I saw (and tried to
correct) the production people setting the strings as much as 18 to 19 mm off
the plate surface. Why the plates didn't break is still a mystery. Perhaps some
did but I just wasn't aware of them.

I've used a 5 mm limit for some time but it is a bit arbitrary. I believe this
to be a safe maximum for older plates. I came up with it by measuring a variety
of original string rests and string bearing bars (both cast-in and loose) most
of which are in the 4 to 5 mm range (or less).

Del