Hammer Transition

pianotuna55 at comcast.net pianotuna55 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 16:07:21 MDT 2007

Hi Alan:
It sounds to me like you need to tune (or try to tune) more pianos to get the feel.  Be sure you are holding the hammer as demonstrated and after a few tunings you'll know hard to "whack it" up or down and then ease back.  You can answer most of your questions yourself after a dozen or so tunings, so...........
keep trying.......
Howard Jackson

From: "Alan Barnard" <pianotuner at embarqmail.com>

Just got the Reyburn impact hammer in an effort to prolong the tuning life of my shoulders and neck.

Tuned a Yamaha studio with fairly tight pins and felt like I was back in Hammer Technique 101; that is to say, I got a nice tuning but it took a loooong time.

Questions for experienced users, please ...

1. Since one can't do the old overpull and settle routine, is an impact whack down as good as a whack up, vis-a-vis stability?

2. If a fairly large movement is made in one whack, and it just happens to hit the mark, will that be stable?

3. For relatively big moves--say 4 cents or more--do you just use the hammer like a "regular" tuning lever, to get it close?

4. In the treble, it seems like you have to play the note constantly while whackawhackawhacking in small increments. Comments?

5. Anything else that might help an experienced newbie like me???

Thanks

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO