hammer bore distance

Cal Munson cmunson at tds.net
Mon Oct 22 09:55:32 MDT 2007

Hello List,

I have gotten some hammers bored recently and have discovered in
putting them on that the bore distance is about 1/4 inch greater than
on the old set.     Using a let-off jig, a small level and a gauge to
measure the string height, I checked my hunch and  it appears that
the bore is indeed 1/4 inch too much (shank does not get all the way
up to perpendicular)

I am wondering what  would be considered  reasonable tolerances in
the ideal bore distance?

Cal Munson