Who says E.T. is the best way to solve octave divisions?

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Oct 22 06:44:00 MDT 2007

>Although there is much to be said for playing "period" music on
>"period" instruments, tuned to "period" temperaments, one can
>legitimately tune a modern instrument to an early temperament, and
>recapture much of the composers original intent for his music.

I've been tuning well temperaments for years, using Coleman 11 as a default
unless specifically requested. One piano teacher (Julliard grad.) says that she
doesn't have to try to inject expression into the music because it
was written in.

At a concert yesterday the pianist didn't notice non-ET only that the
piano sounded great,
plus it had drifted up to 443 from 441 in August (evenly I might add).

Regards,

Jon Page