Appraising follow up

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Oct 20 23:08:59 MDT 2007

 Willem:

With all due respect, the designation of RPT is not sufficient to be an appraiser except for, perhaps, some technical purpose regarding qualifications in the eyes of the legal system which may be all you're saying, but if so, then it in insufficient and non-germane to the issue. There are many, many young RPTs, whom I just love to death for becoming so, who are not qualified to appraise because they simply haven't had the experience in the "market-place", nor of the intricacies of the law and tax consequences, properly to bring to bear the results of that experience. Julia herself admits as much, that she's been doing technical work for several years, but does not claim to be an appraiser. To hold out the carrot to aspiring RPT's that they will, simply by becoming RPT's, have the qualification to appraise is nonsense. There are many non-RPT's out there who have years and years of experience whom I would call on in an instant before I would call someone to do an appraisal simply because they have the designation after their name and the other doesn't. So, no, not enough said.

Paul