ringing overtones

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 07:29:14 MDT 2007

It's possible that another string is actually ringing.  Does it stop when you mute the string with your finger?  If not, it might be a different string ringing in sympathy with the offending string.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

Noah Haverkamp <noahhaverkamp at yahoo.com> wrote:
  There's a copper-wound tenor bichord (at the break) on a Kawai CL-4WO 44" console serial number 1821717 that rings high unpleasant overtones rather loudly, loud enough so you can hear it over the phone, as soon as the damper damps the strings. When I mute either string it still happens. I moved the damper head up and down, left and right and every which way and checked damper timing - nothing helped. It appeared to fit nice and neat into the gap of the bichord. It was seated firmly against the bridge and bridge pins. The strings are aligned at the v-bar.

Is it possible I just didn't get the damper to seat just perfectly? After I left I thought of this possibility: maybe the damper felt is too tough. Perhaps replacing it with fresh? or a softer kind? The other notes just above rang just a little as well, but only half as bad.

Or is it just the piano? Can nothing be done?

-Noah Haverkamp Frere