Harpsichord Tuning Info.

Larry Snyder ldsnyder at dcn.davis.ca.us
Thu Oct 18 13:56:41 MDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:05:02 -0300, John Ross wrote:
>> Luckily, I have some of the proper wire.
>> I got it from Tuner's Supply, so I think I have had it for a while.:-)

John,

    Tuner's Supply provided modern hard wire in harpsichord sizes while
they were still in business. Many, if not most, makers since then have
been using wire metalurgically more akin to that of the 18th century.
This latter is available from Hubbard, Malcolm Rose, or The Instrument
Workshop, among others. You don't want to mix them if you can help it.

Even the lower strings are often a different make-up than the yellow
brass of the TS era, some using phosphor bronze while others employ red
and yellow brass depending on the scale.

Larry Snyder
Davis, CA