Harpsichord Tuning

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 14:02:09 MDT 2007

In a message dated 10/17/2007 8:07:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca writes:

...What is involved in doing a double manual?

John,

It's fun once you find out how the coupling works. Usually the top manual
couples to the bottom manual by sliding in and out. You can disengage it to tune
the bottom manual, then re-engage it. This will get your two eights. Then you
can disengage the top manual, and engage the four foot, probably by a lever on
the stretcher, and tune it to only one eight-foot course for clarity. (There
might also be a lever to turn the lower manual on and off, and another for a
buff stop.) Link everything back up and check. The details might be different,
but the idea will be the same.

There may be removable blocks at the keyboard ends which allow the manual to
slide a half step up or down. Make sure it is at high pitch. Sometimes the
tuning pins are layed out in a natural/sharp pattern, but for low pitch; so at
high pitch you'll be a half step off to the pattern.

I think I've got all this right. I don't tune many harpsichords, so others
will correct me if I've got something backwards.

Once you get the hang of it, it goes quite quickly, so do everything twice.

Bob Davis