Felt Quality / Stanwoods tangent

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 16 15:08:15 MDT 2007

Hi David,

Thanks for the informative post, I remember a good deal of two lectures
I've had the pleasure of hearing from you on the subject, but I'm a bit
sketchy on what you had to say about how lacquer affects hammer
resiliency. I remember you showing those photos of individual felt
fibers magnified gawd knows how many times...but I dont remember if any
of these were of lacquered felt.  You did mention something about
lacquer binding to felt fibers essentially destroying any resiliency
each individual fiber has.  Then too was the small <<hooks>> on each
fiber that end up locking together as part of the felting process, but I
dont remember what you had to say about how lacquer affects these.  If
you get time to expound a bit in the same fashion as you did below, I'd
be very grateful.

Cheers
RicB

    The art and science of felt and hammer making a complex subject for
    sure.  Whether your using cold pressed, hard pressed, lacquered or
    not, the best description of what we all seek is best described by
    the father of the modern production made hammer, Alfred Dolge who