Felt quality---- was------Restring and/or Rescale?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 15 01:20:46 MDT 2007

You will hear all kinds of answers of course.  I'll stick to my standard.

The most important choice what you feel most comfortable working with,
and that is most often based on what kind of sound you like.  While it
is true different soundboards and design parameters will require
different degrees of softness / hardness to achieve similar sound
levels... it is not true IMHO that this can not be achieved quickly and
effectively using a variety of different types of hammers.  Rock Hard
hammers we all throw out mind you.

Some folks find a good deal of needling to be no real problem or effort
at all and find spreading lacquer and acetone around to be very
cumbersome.  Others are just the opposite.  And despite these judgments
some decide they like the sound of the process they find most cumbersome
better so they use it anyways.

I like using a hammer that needs needling down, and yet is one that I
find easy to needle.  So, I use Wurzen II felt hammers made by Renner.
I am sure there are other quality hammers I could use and get nice
results as well.

Cheers
RicB

    Hello all:
    While on the subject of hammers and felt, does anyone have an
    opinion on the best choice of hammer for a Baldwin baby grand from
    the 70's......Pre acu-just hitch pin days??
    Just wondering what opinions may be out there.

    Thanks
    Dave