Mold spore damage

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 19:55:13 MDT 2007

To the list,

I recently examined a Steinway L - nice instrument, recently restrung
and refinished - that spent a couple days in premises that were
flooded. There is no direct water damage to the piano - but it did
spend some time in a very humid environment, standing on
water-saturated floors in fairly warm weather before the owners were
able to move it out of there to a storage facility. The most obvious
damage is to the finish - it pretty much cracked apart (looks like
semi-gloss water-based nitrocellusose) in long, parallel cracks.
Other problems include some surface corrosion on the strings, and
totally gummed up action centers.

They had flood damage technicians test air samples from the premises,
and they found a high mold spore count (a particular mold specific to
water damage). This requires that the premises and all contents be
"hepa-vacuumed". Eventually I am going to see their report and
perhaps even consult with them - but in the meantime, does anyone
know anything about "hepa-Vacuuming", how it's done and what horrible
things it might do to the poor piano (or not)?

Thank you,

Israel Stein