A lucky little Baldwin question

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 11:09:54 MDT 2007

Hi Geoff,I was mildly surprised that neither our spelling police nor witty
folks commented on your "magnate school." Is that a misspelling for "urban
high school allowed extra high quality infrastructure & staff hoping to
inspire gifted urban students", or "the kind of school George W went to"
(Philips Academy, Andover, MA)?

On 10/12/07, Geoff Sykes <thetuner at ivories52.com> wrote:

>  An existing client, with a nice new Yamaha grand at home, teaches music
> at a local magnate school.

<SNIP>

 That one small exception mentioned above is that in spite of the fact that
> the hammers look new, no grooves in them at all and they still retain that
> slight new hammer cup shape, the hammer felt is starting to separate from
> hammer wood on a couple of hammers.

As long as it's just "a couple of hammers" I don't think you need to leap
into a full hammer job immediately. In other words, I'm citing Jim Harvey's
"Rule of Six": if six of a certain component set fail, replacing the whole
set (or at least acknowledging that the whole set is highly likely to fail
at any ol' time) is the proper repair. As Paul noted, cost effectiveness is
also a consideration. Light filing to remove the cupping should improve the
tone (& if any more felt is loose on the core you'll probably notice it).

Best wishes,
Patrick Draine