Felt quality---- was------Restring and/or Rescale?

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Oct 14 08:39:55 MDT 2007

Just changing the thread name.  Dale

Over  there David Stanwood has a good deal of knowledge specific to your
question.  Andre here in Europe also has built up a good deal of  direct
knowledge.  I believe Stanwood often does a class about hammer  felt, how
its made, what grading is about etc.

One thing I believe  is part of how the grading of the felt is determined
is the fineness of  the individual felt fibres themselves.  Higher grade
hammer felt is  finer stuff.  More processing in this regard means
seeling out  thicker stands and as such will not affect the degree of
lanolin left in  the felt.  The elasticity in the individual fibres for
any raw  material will be unchanged as well.   What will be changed is
the number of fibres in any given finished felt block.  At least  thats
my understanding at present. Stanwood may volunteer more on the  subject.

In the end tho... I have the sensation that it is easily as  much the
pressing process that molds the felt into the hammer that is  important
as much as the ground floor quality of the felt itself.  I  cant lay any
specific scientific data on the table, but Renner Wurzen II  hammers are
much nicer to work with and produce much nicer results then  their Wurzen
I hammers do.  I also understand that Yamaha chooses  Wurzen II for their
most expensive line and uses I for the rest at  present, tho I still have
not been able to confirm directly from Yamaha  that this is so.

Talk to Stanwood about  felt.

RicB

Can anyone comment about different  grades of felt generally, Wurzen felt
specifically.   Does a higher grade mean more processing
necessarily?   If so,
does it also mean less lanolin left in the felt, less  elasticity for
in the
fibers or anything  else that might be considered a detriment?  It
seems  to
me that higher grade may not necessarily produce a more  resilient hammer
(felt), or better tone.  Any  comments?

David Love
davidlovepianos at  comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com