Rhodes success

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Sat Oct 13 16:29:46 MDT 2007

I just returned from the recording studio.  Some disco band is recording.  I though disco went out with the 70's, I guess I'm out of the loop.  Boogie-oogie-oogie.

I tuned a Yamaha they were using and then got to the Rhodes.  Relatively speaking it wasn't too bad to start.  It is a very old road instrument, (I guess you could call it a "Road Rhodes).  It was very well used and should probably have a major overhaul.  One by one these old machines are dying and being tossed.  I think there is probably a very limited market for them and I doubt it would be very profitable to get into the Rhodes rebuilding business.

It had a bit of a stretch on it.  It was basically flat-lined up to about F-5 where it began to curve upward to about +20 cents at the very top.  That's a little more stretch then I think I would have recommended, (it sounded a little weird),  but I didn't have time to get too involved.  By the time I finished the Yamaha I only had about 45 minutes to spend with the Rhodes before the band arrived.  I just tried to work with what was there and clean it up a bit.  I'm sure that it was good enough for disco.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV