Restring and/or Rescale? 30 YO Yamaha C3

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Oct 13 10:49:53 MDT 2007

I'd have to go with Wurzen II hammers myself.  Pressed not as hard as
stock Yamaha does (who use Wurzen I on the C series now I believe).  I
get mine from Renner Germany direct... but I suppose in the states you
will get yours from another supplier.  I still haven't been able to
figure out for sure what felt is used on Renner Blues.

The Yamaha C3 has got to be one of the most successful pianos ever
made.  I've always liked Kawaii's  darker bass myself, but the C3 has
been a big hit through the years... and has in general performed quite
well and stable.  I find they sound best to my liking when they are
voiced as dark as you can get away with without killing them.  The bass
can easily get too brassy/brashy  and the treble attack moment crashy.
But rounded off nicely they can sound very nice indeed.  One can do this
without loosing the brilliance needed for ff and above play if one knows
what one is doing.

As far as rescaling... I really see no need myself, but if I was going
to go that route I'd ask the rescaler if it was possible to get the C3
to have a deeper less metallic sounding bass.

Cheers
RicB