1920's Wurli Grand

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Oct 13 06:33:36 MDT 2007

You should tell her that you can make it better, but you can't make it sound
like a 9 foot.

Del Fandrich talks about improving the sound on small grands with a couple
of tricks, neither for the faint hearted. First you rescale the bass,
positioning the bass bridge as far forward as the plate will allow. You are
trying to eliminate the apron and increase the backscale length. Del has
empirically proven that aprons absorb all the lower frequencies of the
strings leaving nothing to go into the soundboard. When ordering the strings
specify the very short Jolly Loop. Or better yet, replace the hitch pins
with vertical pins that have a little grove cut around the top. The groove
allows the string to pivot more freely up and down as the string oscillates.
Make sure you use high quality bass strings- I recommend Arledge.

The second thing you can do is "float" the soundboard. This involves making
a cut through the soundboard in the tail area and reinforcing the cut edge.
Alternatively, you can router a groove around the perimeter of the
soundboard in that area. Search the archives for more info here.

I would recommend you hire Del as a consultant if you want to pursue either
avenue: fandrich at pianobuilders.com

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272