1920's Wurli Grand

Brian Doepke bdoepke at verizon.net
Fri Oct 12 18:53:22 MDT 2007

I have a client who, several years ago, bought a 1920's Wurli Grand off of
e-bay.  I have been working on it regularly, tuning every 6 months so it is
now up to A440. I have also reshaped the hammers.  There are a couple slight
cracks in the soundboard.  The keys are "sloppy" compared to status of what
they should be.  I am sure that many of you have run into a similar
instrument.

The client now wants to talk about what can be done to bring back the "big,
rich sound" of a grand.  She wants to discuss string replacement as a way of
getting her "grand sound".

Is this even worthwhile?  I am afraid of doing the restringing only to have
the sound fall short of what the client wants.   Should I consider the
saying "Even if you put a dress and make-up on a pig.it's still a pig."?

Brian P. Doepke, (dep-kee)
R.P.T. (Registered Piano Technician)
AAA Piano Works, Inc.
Piano Tuning-Repair-Purchase Consults