A lucky little Baldwin question

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Fri Oct 12 00:00:42 MDT 2007

An existing client, with a nice new Yamaha grand at home, teaches music at a
local magnate school. He called to have me come look at what he described as
a junky little Baldwin spinet his school, and his class specifically, had
just received as a donation. Neither of us had any real expectations, and
were both considering ways to get rid of it after my minimum charge service
call to declare it dead. Surprise, surprise.

What I found was a Baldwin drop action console, model 2011C, serial number
1332014, dated 1983. Though it doesn't say so anywhere, this is obviously an
Acrosonic. We were told by the person who donated the piano that it had
never been played. Finding the pitch at 426, (-53c), I decided that it had
also never been serviced. With one small exception, this piano is still in
"new" condition. It needs regulation badly, but the pinblock is like new, as
is are the bridges, and all other mechanical and acoustical aspects of the
piano. All the dampers are like new, as are the bridal straps. Not a speck
of rust, or dust for that matter. In fact I found all the original
manufacturers warranty info still in it's little zip lock bag taped inside
the lid. I did a pitch raise and then a tuning and pronounced the piano both
playable and serviceable. And it sounded pretty decent too.

BUT ---

That one small exception mentioned above is that in spite of the fact that
the hammers look new, no grooves in them at all and they still retain that
slight new hammer cup shape, the hammer felt is starting to separate from
hammer wood on a couple of hammers.

As I write this I now wish I had actually read the warranty card while I was
there. Somewhere I seem to remember seeing 25 years, which would mean that I
still have one year to cash in on it.

Anyway, is this piano just pretending to be in as good a shape as I'm
experiencing it? I'm wondering if replacing all the hammers is going to be
worth it.

Feedback and suggestions welcome. Please.

And another question. Is a drop action console still considered a spinet?

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Los Angeles
-- www.ivories52.com