capstan replacement on Bohemia 185

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Thu Oct 11 22:55:52 MDT 2007

Hello all,

I've heard it said that capstan friction isn't a big deal because the amount of sideways motion of the capstan against the wippen heal is minimal.? I found it interesting, then, that on a new Bohemia 185 I felt some roughness when playing, and was able to isolate it to the capstan/wippen heel interface.? The surface of the capstans was sort of rough, and in some instances had pronounced burrs, as well as overly defined (IMHO) edges.? As a temporary fix, I teflonned the heels.

Bohemia (now owned by Bechstein, btw, for better or worse) said that they'd go with my recommendation to replace the capstans and re-regulate the blow distance.? The new capstans--of a completely different, polished texture-- arrived a couple of weeks ago.? I completed the agreed-upon task tonight, and when I got the action back in the piano, the difference was absolutely astonishing.? The action felt entirely different, far faster and more controllable.? Both the owner and I were quite surprised and pleased at the difference.

Now who was it that said that capstan friction is no big to deal?? I beg to differ!

Thanks for reading,

Dave