pitch for 1903 Hinze

Stephen Grattan lostchordclinic at ameritech.net
Wed Oct 10 13:32:24 MDT 2007

Hi Alan,

Check the plate real carefully just below the pinblock - it may well be cracked at the tenor/treble break and at the next strut up towards the treble end of the piano.  The crack would probably be vertical - extending from the plate bolt holes.  I just finished rebuilding my second one of these in the past year and both of them were cracked.  Poor design - which I corrected - was the cause of the cracks.  I am keeping  these both 100 cents flat! (they were both family heirlooms)

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic