Sore Thumb E4

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Wed Oct 10 01:02:49 MDT 2007

 Loose hammer center?

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Barnard <pianotuner at embarqmail.com>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 9:42 pm
Subject: Sore Thumb E4

  To all with long experience ....

Old Harvard upright. Hammers?a little?flat from wear, not going to shape them at this time. Piano tuned, Action "basic regulated", i.e., key height, blow, lost motion, let-off, checking, and aftertouch. Play up and down the keys, and E4 is much, MUCH, MUCH louder than it's neighbors on a similar blow. Hammer doesn't look any different than neighbors, strings are not particularly level, but neither are the neighbors.

I didn't think to swap hammers while I was there, but will be returning to work more on this piano.

Whataythinky'all? What am I missing?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. It's not a little louder than other tenor notes it's a LOT louder. Did I mention that?