Ivory repair & AcryliKey II

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 13:45:03 MDT 2007

At 09:43 -0400 8/10/07, Jon Page wrote:

>How well will AKII work with the crack repairs in the photo.
>I used a fine ball tip on a Dremel Tool to prep the areas
>patched on the center two keys.
>
>Can the material be manufactured a little whiter or is this off
>white due to the fact that my product is a few years old.
>
>Attachment converted: Mac Mini:ivory&AKII.jpg (JPEG/«IC») (001185F0)

The keys look quite yellow in the picture even after photoshopping,
less so the two in the middle, which presumably have been sandpapered
down in the process of the repair.  I always bleach the keys first,
and if you're using AcriliKey it is most important not to bleach a
repaired key because it discolours the acrylic badly.  In the pack of
AK I had, there was a pure white powder and a cream powder that you
were supposed to mix to get the right colour.  You might also add a
spot of titanium white.

Personally I did not get on with AK any more than I liked its price.
I'm pretty sure you could do a job just as good with West System
epoxy with titanium white and other powders mixed in and not have the
risk of discoloration.  I must try it soon.

JD