Walter 175 hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Oct 7 13:57:53 MDT 2007

I wonder if the impatience with which the hammer or felt makers go through
the felting process doesn't have a lot to do with the difference.  Instead
of a denser interlocking felt fiber achieved by mechanical means, it is,
perhaps, achieved now more by heating and pressing.  That would make for a
dense but less resilient hammer.  I don't really know enough of the details
of felt making but there are some interesting insights in the "Tone
Building" book that Del Fandrich recently edited and released.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com