Walter 175 hammers

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Oct 7 12:28:50 MDT 2007

Hi Mark.

I dont like using hammer lacquer myself... but if you have to then you
do.  Depending on the sound you are after it might be wise to try a bit
of something that is to some degree reversable first.  Do a quick
reshaping with some relatively fine grade paper and iron the hammers a
bit, then add a drop or two of collodion (a hammer hardener very common
in europe) to the crown... accent the right side of the hammer so as to
get more shift pedal affect.  If you like what you get.. then you can go
with a more penetrating hardener approach that will last longer... and
if you dont... well a tiny bit of reshaping and needling will remove the
effect of the collodion.

It goes without sayting that what you like soundwise and what others
like are going to be different... sometimes widely so.  If you think the
piano needs more beef and you have the owner / users behind you... then
beef it up (taking smallish steps).  Personally, I find that piano
voicing tastes are so wide that its amazing.  Everything from what I
would find it difficult to describe as pure cotton to solid ice cubes.
Despite that I tend for as much power as I can get as long as I dont get
any glassyness or ice except on  fff + play.  This allows me to easily
voice down if needed to meet someones quieter tastes, and up to meet
those who like em hard and nasty.

Cheers
RicB

    I have been asked to voice up a set of hammers on a new Charles Walter
    175 grand. They look like Renner hammers, but are quite mellow
    sounding.
    Does anybody know if these are Wurzen felt? If I lacquer, should I use
    the same techniques as on Steinway hammers, or is there a better
    procedure for this type of hammer? The bass in particular needs a lot
    more oompf.

    - Mark Dierauf