Self-employed techs

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Sat Oct 6 22:08:27 MDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
To: 'Pianotech List' <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 4:25 am
Subject: RE: Self-employed techs

Has anyone explored the differences between forming an LLC and an S Corporation and the benefits of going that route as opposed to a simple sole proprietorship?

If anyone can direct me to good literature or share their own experiences on the subject, I’d appreciate it.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

Here is what my son, the CPA, says:

Quick answer:

LLC and SCorp will both provide similar legal protection. But LLC is NO
different from Sole Prop for tax purposes.

So, if you looking for just legal protection, then LLC is fine. Setting up an
LLC is fairly harmless, and there are not many down-sides. (Or any financial
up-sides).

However, if you want tax benefits AND legal protection, then SCorp is the way to
go.

Of course the tax benefits of an SCorp are not easily explained or obtained. So,
anyone doing this should discuss it with a good CPA before setting up an SCorp.
Otherwise, you may end up worse off than before.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of