Puzzler

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Oct 6 21:45:38 MDT 2007

>     Hi Guys & Gals:
>     Here's a puzzler I really don't have the answer for.
>
>     Winter spinet, 40 years old, good shape, tuned up and plays
> well except for one thing.
>     The first bass octave dampers won't lift away from the strings
> either with the keys or damper pedal.  Also many hammers are blocking in
> this area.  I pulled the action out thinking a damper rod problem, but
> no.

Concept alert! Damper lifter rod affecting letoff? Blue screen
of death. Reboot. Reinstall operating system.

>All the dampers are in line and lift evenly out of the piano.

Without strings as a reference to see where they actually do
lift? Concept alert #2.

First  guess - split action rail. Second guess - daemonic
possession, requiring wholesale destruction of the known
universe. Your call.

Ron N