Self-employed techs

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 5 20:08:42 MDT 2007

Frank Emerson <pianoguru at earthlink.net> wrote:            Whoop!  You are right, Mark. contributions to conventional retirement IRAs, or SEPs are exempt from income tax, but NOT from self-employment tax.

  Double Whoops!  That's what I get for replying to an email before 6am prior to my first cup of coffee.  Of course, Mark, you are correct in that the self-employment tax is unaffected by any kind of IRA...  BUT, the Traditional and SEP can certainly lower your overall yearly taxes, and, as Frank suggests, have substantial long-term benefits.

  I'll be slower on the draw next time I reply before the sun is up...

  Mark Potter