Jack Spring punchings

annie at allthingspiano.com annie at allthingspiano.com
Thu Oct 4 17:38:07 MDT 2007

All the jack springs I've replaced have been glued in.  Often, the glue
pulls out with the spring.

Otherwise, I pull out as much of the spring as possible, put a drop of
water on the glue (and leftover wire, often), and go on to the next.  By
the time I come back to it, the glue has softened, and I do a quick turn
about the hole with a flat screwdriver blade to get out the wire and glue
(and go on to the next).  By the time I've finished 'em all and come back
again, it's dried out enough to put in a drop of fresh glue and a new
spring.

Maybe I'm just too accustomed to working on less-than-pristine PSOs....
<g>  But I've never seen a felt punching under a jack spring!

>> I don't know about most "people" however, much to my dismay, it has been
>> the practice of many manufacturer's for over 100 years. You will find a
>> jack
>> spring hole reamer for removal of that glue for sale on page 50 of the
>> new
>> Schaff catalog.

Dang, this quote manages to insult the intelligence of both women AND the
elderly, all in one fell swoop.  The Albert sure was an efficient guy.  Or
maybe it's all relative..........  (Or maybe he was only insulting his own
relatives.)

> You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your
> grandmother. --Albert Einstein

Annie Grieshop