Tuning pin drilling? followup

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 13:43:44 MDT 2007

At 11:34 -0500 4/10/07, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>Not exactly. I try to line it up carefully, but the flex of the bit
>most likely does help. This is partly what I've been talking about
>as I keep stressing that absolute precision and rigidity of the
>setup isn't strictly necessary to drill precision holes.

... and in the old days the plank was drilled very accurately by hand
using a long bow-stock and a quill bit (aka. spoon bit).  I have a
feeling two men might have done this, one to hold the stock and the
other to bow it, but maybe just one well-paid and well-fed man.
Bridges were drilled this way even more recently.

JD