Decomposing key leads

Jessica Masse ebonyandivory at on.aibn.com
Tue Oct 2 06:52:10 MDT 2007

Hi,
I once had a customer with an inexpensive probably Chinese made grand 3
years after it was built the keys were binding.  I could not reach the
manufacturer of it but contacted a technician  the US plant that
probably contracted its construction.  This swelling key led problem can
be seen rarely and I have seen it in older pianos.  Because the
oxidation is a yellowish powder I wonder if it is zinc?

Anyway  this 3 year old piano probably built in 1997 keys were binding
all over it didn't seem to affect the dampers.  The top surface of the
keys had been finished I don't think this is relevant.  I took each key
and with a sharp chisel or safety razor sliced off the protruding lead.
Wear gloves don't make dust and store the leads.  Then I shellacked the
surface of the lead.
This was done in 2000.  I saw the piano last about a year ago and
everything is still okay.  I was unsure how long things would be okay.

Jessica Masse RPT